Veterans FAQ

Can I enroll in courses that are not required for my major?  Yes, you can enroll in courses that are not required for your major. However, VA benefits are only payable for courses that are required for your major and are included in your Veterans Student Education Plan (VSEP). Recommended courses are not eligible for payment by the VA. If you choose to enroll in a course that is not required for your current major, you must pay for all costs associated with the course, such as enrollment fees and books.

Why am I not certified for all of the classes I’m enrolled in?  You may not be certified for all courses for two reasons: the course is not required for your major or you have recently changed your schedule and the Veterans Resource Center has not updated your enrollment certification. It is your responsibility to notify the Veterans Center of any change in your schedule. Failure to do so may result in a delay or overpayment of benefits.

What do I do to ensure I will be certified for the following semester/academic year?  An Education Information Form, which identifies the semesters for which you want to be certified, must be completed by all veterans and dependents each academic year. This form is typically sent to students in March for the following academic year. If you fail to submit the Education Information Form or fail to request certification for a specific semester you will not be certified.

Can I receive my payments through direct deposit?  Yes. To enroll or update your direct deposit information you must contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or online through WAVE. Be sure to have your VA file number or social security number, bank routing number, and savings/checking account number available.

What is the difference between the different types of VA education benefits?  You can view a comparison chart of the different types of VA education benefits online at the GI Bill ® Comparison Tool

How do I apply for Work Study through the VA?  All recipients of VA education benefits, who are enrolled at least three-quarter time, may apply for Work Study through the VA. Work Study sites include Department of Veterans Affairs offices, National Cemeteries, VA Medical Centers, and Reedley College. To find a possible work site and obtain more information on Work Study contact the VA regional office at 1-888-442-4551 and ask to be transferred to the Work Study desk.

What do I do if I have a change of address or phone number?  You must update your address or phone number with Reedley College through Web Advisor as well as with the VA by calling 1-888-442-4551 or through WAVE.

Do I have to pay for my enrollment fees?  Yes. Payment of enrollment fees is the student’s responsibility. Failure to do so may result in being dropped from your classes and/or a hold being placed on your academic records. If you are a recipient of the Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) or Veterans Readiness and Employment (VR&E Chapter 31), the VA may issue a check to Reedley College based on your percentage of eligibility and cost of enrollment fees. If you have already paid your enrollment fees you will be issued a reimbursement check upon the colleges receipt of payment from the VA.

Can I apply for financial aid if I received Veterans Education Benefits?  Yes! You may qualify for financial aid including Pell Grant, Federal Work Study, and Federal Direct Loans, even if you are receiving VA education benefits. You must apply online at The FAFSA is based on your prior year’s income. If your income has changed from the prior year, you may submit a Special Circumstance Request to the Financial Aid Office. This form allows for an evaluation of your current year income and benefits in determining your eligibility for financial aid.

What is advanced payment and how do I request it?  Advanced payment provides advanced funds at the beginning of a term to help students meet expenses. Advanced payment is the amount payable for the first month of the semester or portion of the month, depending on the day of the month the semester begins, plus the amount payable for the following month. Advanced payment must be requested through the Veterans Center at least 60 day before the start of the term. Advanced payment is not available for Chapter 33.

What do I do if I am called to active duty?  If you are unable to complete your classes because you are called to active duty, submit a copy of your orders to Reedley College Veterans Center as soon as possible via email . You may be entitled to a Military Withdrawal (MW) which will not be counted in progress probation/dismissal procedures by the Admissions and Records Office.

What is the Veterans Satisfactory Progress Policy?  VA regulations require that students maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater and must maintain a cumulative completion rate of more than 50% of all courses attempted. If students fail to meet these requirements for three consecutive semesters, their VA Education Benefits will be suspended. In the event that the benefits are suspended, students will not be eligible to apply to have VA Education Benefits reinstated until one semester, excluding the summer session, has elapsed. If students are academically disqualified from receiving Veterans Benefits, the reinstatement and future benefits are conditional upon the readmission policy outlined in the current college catalog and reinstatement criteria located in the SAP policy brochure.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

The processing time for paperwork submitted to the School Certifying Official is usually two weeks. During peak periods allow at least three weeks for processing. Processing of the initial VA application by the Veterans Administration takes at up to a month; subsequent paperwork is usually processed within 4 weeks.

It takes the VA approximately 4 weeks from the date we certify your enrollment to generate your first check. The VA issues payments directly to students on or after the first of each month following the month you are in class. For example: A student would receive payment for September on or after October 1. If you experience a longer wait time or do not receive your check when expected please contact the VA at 1-888- 442-4551.

Pay rates depend on the duration of your service and enrollment status. Pay rates vary for each chapter. A complete list of pay rates can be found by using the GI Bill Comparison Tool.

Recipients of Chapters 30 and 1606 are required to verify their enrollment no sooner than the last calendar day of each month. You can verify your enrollment online through WAVE or by phone at 1-877-823-2378. If you have had a change in enrollment status which has not yet been reported to the VA you must use WAVE to verify your enrollment and submit the change in enrollment status to avoid a possible overpayment. Failure to verify your enrollment will cause your payments to stop.

Chapter 33 students must also verify your enrollment with VA at the end of every month through VA’s text message or email systems, or by calling 888-442-4551. VA will text you asking you to opt in to their system. If you do not receive the opt-in message, check your email account on file with VA. If you do not find an email please call the number above. If you fail to verify enrollment for two consecutive months, VA will suspend your monthly housing payments.

To change your major you must meet with a Veterans Counselor to select an approved major and create a new Veterans Student Education Plan (VSEP). It is the student’s responsibility to submit a copy of the new VSEP to the School Certifying Official.

There is no limit to the number of times a veteran or dependent can change their major.

You must inform the Veterans Center staff immediately if you change your schedule to ensure that your enrollment certification is adjusted with VA. This will help you avoid possible overpayment of benefits. You should email or your School Certifying Official of the changes.