Welcome to the physics and astronomy program at Reedley College, Oakhurst Center and Madera Community College Center website. We strive to make the learning of physics and astronomy accessible and enjoyable to a wide range of students irrespective of their learning styles, socio-cultural and educational background.
Our primary goal is to motivate and inspire you to succeed in your personal and professional life by understanding and applying the fundamental laws that govern the entire universe. Astronomy is a gateway to understanding the working and beauty of the universe. Physics is the most basic of all the sciences and seeks to uncover the physical laws of nature that govern the entire universe. This means physics is essential to the understanding of life itself and establishes the foundation for astronomy, engineering, computer science, biology, chemistry and geology. Due to our limited class sizes, students in the physics and astronomy program enjoy a socially cohesive, learner – centered and high participation classroom environments. The short documentary below showcases our students’ experiences here at Reedley College and the Madera Community College Center. After completing your courses in physics, you are most likely compared to other students, to be accepted in high ranking universities around the world.
- Physics 4A: Physics for Scientist and Engineers I
- Physics 4B: Physics for Scientist and Engineers II
- Physics 4C: Physics for Scientist and Engineer III
- Physics for Scientist and Engineer III (Physics 4D)
- Intro to Astronomy:(Astro 10)
- Intro to Cosmology (Astro 20)
- Physics 27: Unmanned Rocket Science
The cornerstone of all the courses offered in the physics and astronomy program at Reedley College and Madera Community College Center is to develop an understanding and appreciation of the physical laws that govern the universe we live in through creative problem solving skills and improved laboratory investigations. The Physics and Astronomy program offers a variety of classes that meet the community needs and satisfy transfer requirements. The level of classes taken typically depends on the student’s mathematical background and career interest. Below is our mission and vision statement.
Mission Statement of the Physics and Astronomy Program
In conjunction with the mission of Reedley College, the physics and astronomy program at Reedley College and the Madera Community College Center has a threefold mission:
- To make the learning of physics and astronomy accessible to a wide range of students irrespective of their learning styles, sociocultural and educational backgrounds. This is achieved by:
- Empower and inspire students to excel and succeed in their personal and professional lives. This will be achieved by:
- Inciting in students of all levels, the feeling of discovery, of curiosity and induced in them independent critical thinking, and an unquenchable interest in physics and astronomy
- Enlarging the student's reservoir of techniques and advanced knowledge in physics and astronomy
- Showing students how to make connections, exploit analogies, use past experiences in analyzing fresh ones (that is "physical intuition"!), identify the essential aspects of a problem and the inessential ones, too, make sensible approximations—in short, be a physicist!
- Helping students develop good leadership and effective communication skills required to take risk and ask the right questions
- By expanding and diversifying the courses offered
- To inspire students to develop a deeper and more meaningful connection with the universe and to engage our community in learning about physical laws, astronomical discoveries and emerging technology. This is achieved by:
- Inspiring and empowering our students to be scientifically well informed, to explore careers in science and engineering as well as aspire to make the world a better place.
- Creating a vibrant, participative and socially cohesive (learner - centered) classroom environment that allows students to ‘think scientifically’ and to carry out investigations in a focused, collaborative, and meaningful manner
- Designing a rigorous and comprehensive performance based curriculum for all our courses
- Fostering collaboration and the establishment of learning communities within the program.
Vision Statement of the Physics and Astronomy Program
The physics and astronomy program at Reedley College and the Madera Community College Center envision that:
- Graduates who have developed the cognitive, academic and emotional skills required to succeed in any well-grounded, comprehensive and rigorous upper undergraduate program is the CSU system and other universities in the world
- The program will be recognized nationally and locally as a model of an effective and successful physics program. It will become the most sort after program and highly respected in the Fresno region and around the country
- Faculty and staff will employ the most effective pedagogical methods in Physics Education Research that will engage the students and provide meaningful educational experiences for them.
- Courses will be taught by experienced and passionate instructors who consider teaching as a primary responsibility.
- The program course sequences are designed to meet transfer requirements for majors in the Physical and Natural Sciences in the University of California System and other major universities.